Friday, December 5, 2008

Character Building

For the past week I have been writing in most of my spare time and my "Space Rat" novel is really coming together. One aspect that I really enjoy is building a character and watching how they evolve through a course of events. Another part of character building that I really enjoy is describing the characters with have a mirror or reflection scene.

Like the following: Fred stands back and looks into the mirror his long brown hair picture frames his face and accents his dark eyes.

See that's sort of lame, its much more fun and creative if you can instead do the following: as Fred frantically runs down the hall his dark brown hair sweeps across his face covering his dark eyes.

In both sentences you describe some of the characters descriptions and both are accurate but one takes a little more creativity.

In a related note I have been really enjoying the podcast "The Secrets" by Michael Stackpole. His knowledge of writing and use of words is proving invaluable and I recommend that everyone get a chance to listen to him. Even if you don't enjoy writing, we all need to write talks, using his tips will help keep your audience awake :)

Well that all I have for right now.

Peace
-Joshua M Hemond

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you go all the way back in The Secrets and start at the beginning? Also, dude, spell check.

JoshuaMHemond said...

Yeah, I listened from the begining and have just about caught up. I know my spelling is bad, but I post at work on 15 minute breaks. I don't always get the time to spell check right away. I usually try to go back and do it later if I remember. Sorry :(