Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Nerd

For a while now I have been thinking about the word "Nerd". To me it seems like one of the most over used insults in the English language. Not only though is it over used but it is misused.

Now let me reminisce for a bit. When I was growing up and still to this day I have enjoyed activities that others have called "Nerdy" and have had people who claim to be my friends call me a "Nerd". But really is it that what I'm doing is "Nerdy" or that I'm a "Nerd" or is it that what I'm doing other don't understand?

Dictionary.com defines "Nerd" as "an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd." But many of that activities I pursue that many would call "Nerdy" are quiet the opposite. This whole thing really raises a bigger question in my mind though. Why do people feel the need to put down what others are doing when they are not hurting others? Are these people really so uncomfortable in their own skin that the only way they can make themselves feel human is by insulting others? I guess what I'm trying at is people should be able to decide what they like and what they dislike with out fear of ridicule.

In the year 2008 when their has been so much advancement in science and technology, much of it created and discovered by so called "Nerds" you would think that people would be over the notion that anyone class of people are better then others.

In closing, I know this post has been a lot of rambling and really has just brought us around in a big circle. But next time you feel the need to insult someone else, just because you don't understand what drives them or what their passions are, don't. The old saying of "sticks and stones" is false. Bruises and broken bones eventually heal, words stay in your mind forever and torment you.

Peace

-Joshua M Hemond

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the term "nerd" isn't quite as derogatory as it used to be. Look at how mainstream video games have become. Embrace the "nerd"!

JoshuaMHemond said...

Yeah I guess. I just hate that people feel the need to lable someone, just because they don't understand why a person likes something. Seem's like they are not happpy with themselves so they need to find problems with others.