Thursday, May 14, 2009

Lolcat Crazy!


Whats the deal with the new lolcat craze? I don't get it!

Let me explain, I kept seeing shirts and different items online that were saying "I can haz Cheezburger". I had no Idea what the heck this meant and where it came from. So I decided to do a little investigating.

My investigation started by asking all the "cool" teenagers (Joe, Stelmach and Jackie) that I work with, what "I can haz cheezburger" meant. Surprisingly Joe had the most insight on the phenomena. "It's an lolcat" he told me, as if I was supposed to understand what that meant. He then hopped onto the interweb and brought me to a website called:

http://icanhascheezburger.com/

A site purely devoted to lolcats. My first impression was it was a big stupid waste of time. I mean people taking pictures of their cats and adding quirky subtitles, sounds like something you would find boring house wives doing while they watched "the view" or "Oprah". I could see the character Angela from "the office" being very into lolcats, but why teenagers? What interest do teenagers have in cats? When I was a teenager my interests were pretty simple, girls and fun. Cats never fit into the equation. The more I kept looking at the lolcats though I found myself chuckling at the cutesy cats. Then I wanted to see more and more, I kept searching and looking, browsing google for more lolcats. Well maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration, but I did find myself rather enjoying the lolcats. Now i'm not going to go out there and buy a "I can haz cheezburger" t-shirt, I don't have an lolcat as my PCs wallpaper or screen saver and I definitely wouldn't make my own lolcats using my own semi retarded animals. I would however check it out now and again, maybe getting a few lol's.

What I find most amusing about the whole thing is that it was all a brain child of someone. I have know idea who but, someone took a picture of their cat and added a cute little subtitle and now people are making money on that idea. I can't figure out if this world has gotten so dumbed down that even stupid things are funny or if lolcats are just plain genius and its what we need in the rough times we are living in, to look at something so Innocent and cute as a cat and giggle. So in the end, here's to you lolcats.


Peace
Joshua M Hemond

2 comments:

Joe Lindsey said...

This isn't really a new craze. It's been around for years. Your behind the times, son!

JoshuaMHemond said...

I'll give you your props, you would know. I have only just starting hearing about it.